Glutathione’s benefits include a longer, healthier life, improved sports performance, slower aging, and increased energy. Additionally, glutathione is our body’s master antioxidant and detoxifier.
There are multiple reasons why it’s an excellent idea to enhance the glutathion
e levels in our bodies:
- Glutathione (GSH) is the body’s master antioxidant and detoxifier. Vitamins like C, E and alpha lipoic acid become unstable when they’re neutralized by free radicals. GSH neutralizes free radicals, stabilizing these vitamins and allowing them to do their job (again and again).
While other antioxidants work only on certain parts of the body, GSH is needed by every body part. A deficiency of GSH makes the other antioxidants ineffective in fighting free radicals.
- GSH is a powerful anti-inflammatory. Inflammation is a factor in a huge number of diseases. The first step toward preventing these diseases is to control inflammation throughout the body.
- A healthy liver contains abundant GSH. Most folks today have tired, over-worked livers. The liver performs the bulk of the work of detoxifying the body and removing waste materials. To do its job effectively, the liver requires an abundant supply of GSH. Not only does GSH remove free radicals – it eliminates bacteria, viruses, poisonous substances that accumulate from ingesting drugs, environmental toxins, and heavy metals.
- GSH plays a key role in transporting proteins and nutrients to the cells. Low levels of GSH can cause us to be malnourished – even if our diet is healthy!
- GSH protects immune cells from oxidative stress, enabling the immune system to perform its task of fighting off viruses and bacteria.
- The body needs GSH to produce energy. The body’s energy production systems create free radicals that make us vulnerable to disease. The body needs an abundance of GSH to prevent these harmful substances from damaging our cells.
- GSH never becomes a free radical. The body continually recycles GSH to neutralize free radicals and help other antioxidants do their work.
- GSH slows aging. Many researchers believe that age-related diseases such as heart disease, stroke, Alzheimer’s, arthritis, Parkinson’s, cancer, et al. are caused by the cellular damage from free radicals. When GSH levels are high, the free radicals are neutralized before they can do harm.
- GSH protects our eyes from the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) rays.Abundant GSH means fewer cataracts and protection from macular degeneration.
- GSH improves the condition of skin, hair, and nails. Skin conditions such as psoriasis, acne, dry/itchy skin, and wrinkles improve with increased GSH. Because GSH counteracts free radicals, it improves skin health and helps keep the skin moist, supple, and free of inflammation. It also enables the collagen in our skin to remain intact and supple, so the skin shows fewer premature signs of aging.
- GSH induces Delta-wave sleep. For insomniacs, GSH is good medicine!
- GSH supports peak performance for athletes and accelerates muscle recovery. Athletes find that they have better strength, endurance, and faster recovery when their body has ample stores of GSH.
Although we carry a highly absorbable form of oral glutathione in our office (see HERE), intravenous GSH is delivered straight to the cells where it’s needed. Either way, we recommend that GSH be an integral part of your supplement program.
Please phone 650-917-1121 for more information. And be sure to check our new Intravenous Therapies website for complete information about the IV therapies we offer at Pacific Naturopathic.