In a recent column, I talked about the extensive testing that Dr. Marcel and I had done to our bodies, to assess our exposure to environmental toxins.
Now that we’ve had ample time to digest the results, I’ve come to some basic conclusions about the specific environmental tests that are most useful, and the best ways to remove the accumulated toxins.
As a result of the testing, Marcel and I found that we have indeed been exposed to glyphosate, a dangerous carcinogenic chemical. However, while I found the glyphosate (Roundup) testing academically interesting, I’ve concluded that it isn’t terribly helpful.
The advice we’re usually given for lowering our glyphosate exposure is to avoid living in areas where it’s commonly applied, and to avoid eating GMO foods and animal products such as milk and meat from animals fed on GMO foods.
As advice goes, it is, of course, perfectly good, ripe stuff. But if you’re concerned about glyphosate, I would recommend that you simply assume exposure, skip the testing, and spend your dollars in more useful ways.
That’s because (1) glyphosphate testing is not exactly cheap, at $99. (2) Glyphosate is very commonly present in the modern environment. And (3) the treatment options for most environmental toxins are very similar.
The tests revealed higher-than-baseline levels of several other environmental toxicants in my body as well, including MTBE, Xylene, Styrene, and Organophosphates.
And that’s when I discovered that the suggested treatment protocols for all these substances were quite similar.
Considering the cost of testing, the most beneficial single test I’ve found is the Organic Acids Test – Nutritional and Metabolic Profile.
This single panel can give us valuable information about intestinal microbial overgrowths, mitochondrial markers, neurotransmitter levels, nutritional and antioxidant deficiencies, fatty acid metabolism, and more.
That’s a lot of information from a single test. Moreover, the suggested treatments are specific to the results of the test.
If you’re interested in this panel, here are our recommendations. We favor (and offer in our clinic) the Great Plains Laboratory testing products – specifically, the Toxic Organic Chemical Profile at $219, and the Organic Acids Test for $299, with discounts for some combination testing. Another option is the Toxic Effects CORE profile from Genova Diagnostics at $649, with individual test profiles for volatile solvents, PCBs, and so on, for anywhere from $223 to $294.
The Next Step: Removing Toxins From Your Body
Detoxification is a multi-step process. Remember that it has taken years to build up to your present toxic load – and it will take time to reverse the process.
- To repeat, our first line of defense is simple avoidance. In other words: eat organically grown foods, avoid pesticides in your diet, try not to live near agricultural areas or golf courses, and stay away from food and drink that’s been prepared or stored in plastic containers or tin cans.
- I like to “start simple.” As a first step, I recommend the Biologic Drainage Remedies, which are gentle, and target the liver, kidney, and lymph, thus helping to ensure that our bodies will be able to safely clear any toxins. We offer these remedies in our clinic – for information, you can call us at 650-917-1121, or use the Contact Form to send us a message.
- Moving forward, I find that the classic naturopathic liver and intestinal cleanses are effective. Again, if you have questions, give us a call, or drop us a note through the Contact Form.
- Next are approaches for eliminating specific environmental toxins. These treatments may include, for example, using an infrared sauna to eliminate toxins through the skin.
- Incidentally, for eliminating toxic compounds, treatments with intravenous Glutathione and N acetyl cysteine are a reliable mainstay. (See the protocols on our Intravenous Therapies website.)
- You might also wish to look at the Quicksilver Scientific detox protocols. These come in boxed kits – you’ll find kits for liver, mold, general detox, and metals. (https://www.purxpressions.com/store) They are well-designed, and are available by special order from our office.
- If your concern is removing microbial toxins, we recommend the Results RNA line of protocols. The ACS 200 Extra Strength formula is available in our office. (https://www.resultsrna.com)
The long and short is that you can pretty much assume that your body has been subjected to toxic exposure.
Still, testing does have its uses – for example, if you’re concerned about mold exposure, or if you suspect a specific environmental exposure, testing may be useful. And you can certainly have testing done to check your pre- and post-detox levels.
Also, the Organic Acid Testing system can help you narrow down and treat the possible environmental causes of specific symptoms.
Nevertheless, without any testing whatsoever, you can take valuable steps to avoid toxic exposure in the first place, and to clear your body, using the above-discussed detox protocols.
* * *
Read more about the medical services Dr. Connie offers: http://www.naturopathichealthconsultations.com