by Connie Hernandez, ND and Marcel Hernandez, ND
Confusing! How can good old H2O, which already contains H(ydrogen), be converted to “hydrogen water”? And what are the benefits, if any?
Hydrogen water is ordinary filtered tap water into which hydrogen gas has been dissolved, without changing the normal acid/alkaline balance (pH) of the water.
The motivation for this little science experiment is that hydrogen is a selective antioxidant that has been shown to reduce oxidative stress and inflammation. The beneficial effects of hydrogen water are backed by 12 years of research and more than 900 studies.
Specifically, hydrogen water has been praised for its ability to increase energy, slow aging, and improve muscle recovery after exercise.
It could hardly be easier to make your own hydrogen water at home. Just drop hydrogen tablets (available in our office) into filtered tap water.
Alternatively, you can use a small counter-top generator (see HERE) to infuse the water with hydrogen. Some manufacturers sell bottled hydrogen water.
Because the infused hydrogen is released quickly, the water must be drunk immediately after opening the bottle or brewing it at home to be of benefit.
Based on preliminary studies, hydrogen water may have additional health benefits:
Countering the effects of radiation therapy and chemotherapy
- A study of 49 people with liver cancer showed that drinking hydrogen-rich water for six weeks during radiation therapy improved their quality of life. (Quality of life scores were higher in the group that drank hydrogen water versus the placebo group.) Fatigue, hair loss, skin problems, nausea, headaches, and soreness in the radiated area were all considerably better in the hydrogen water group.
- A study indicated that hydrogen gas can lessen the side effects from conventional chemotherapeutics and simultaneously suppress the growth of cancer cells.
- A study reported that drinking hydrogen-rich water alleviates chemotherapy-induced neuropathic pain through the regulation of gut microbiota.
- Hydrogen water is said to increase energy, reduce inflammation, and reduce recovery times after workouts.
- A small study of 10 soccer players suggested that drinking hydrogen water after exercising may reduce muscle fatigue and muscle function decline.
These are, of course, preliminary results.
Oxidative stress can cause cancer and other diseases. Oxidative stress is caused by normal bodily processes, as well as exposure to sunlight or industrial chemicals.
- Hydrogen water contains antioxidants that help prevent oxidative stress in the body.
- Some studies indicate that hydrogen water may be useful in treating metabolic syndrome and kidney disease.
Hydrogen water is generally recognized as safe (GRAS) by the FDA, meaning that it is approved for human consumption and not known to cause harm.
Dr. Marcel has begun drinking hydrogen water in the morning and evening and will relate his experiences in future newsletters.
For information about the services we offer at Pacific Naturopathic, please give us a call at 650-961-1660, use the convenient Contact Form to get in touch, or follow the link to: Consultations – Pacific Naturopathic. Thank you!