by Marcel Hernandez, ND
Dr. Connie and I attended a recent three-day conference on health and electromagnetic fields (EMFs). I must admit that I entered the conference with a bias.
For years, I’d suspected that EMFs might pose a significant health hazard. But I largely ignored the evidence because, like most people, I depend on technology for my business, and for research, entertainment, communication, and much more.
Plus, many the EMF critics were folks who seemed to decry technology in general. It was also extremely inconvenient to think that technology might be playing a major part in the avalanche of cancer, depression, anxiety, insomnia, immune disorders and many other chronic illnesses that we were dealing with in our medical practice.
Inconvenient, because we didn’t really know how to unravel the mechanisms of the conditions we were treating. But now that has changed.
At the EMF conference I listened in slack-jawed amazement as a procession of researchers, scientists, and physicians detailed the immensity of the challenge we face in getting technology to work for us and not against us.
The first speaker, Sharon Goldberg, MD, from the New Mexico School of Medicine, set the parameters for the program. She used a seemingly endless list of peer-reviewed studies to support her presentation. Here are some of the eye-opening takeaways:
- All EMFs have biological effects, including the electricity that powers our homes.
- EMFs impact everyone, regardless of whether or not the person can feel them.
- All EMFs are biologically active.
- EMFs influence chronic disease mechanisms, causing DNA damage, oxidative stress, mitochondrial damage, membrane leakage, calcium channel effects, and heat shock proteins.
- Chronic disease is on the upswing, and people are having to work harder than ever to stay healthy.
- Magnetic fields are found in anything with a motor or a pump, even a hairdryer. Various studies have linked chronic magnetic field exposure with neurodegenerative diseases, including ALS.
- Radio frequencies are also implicated in various ways, including by lowering the toxicity threshold of household chemicals.
- Blue Shield/Blue Cross studied 55 million millennial Americans aged 21 to 36 by 2017 and found an “unprecedented deterioration in the health of younger Americans.” Depression, substance abuse, hypertension, psychotic conditions, inflammatory bowel diseases, and diabetes topped the list.
- 24 peer-reviewed studies indicated that microwave frequency electromagnetic fields (e.g., your kitchen microwave) produce widespread neuropsychiatric effects, including depression.
- The oxidative stresses caused by EMFs have a documented connection with cardiovascular disease.
- Prenatal exposure to EMFs is associated with an increased risk of childhood obesity.
- Laptop power supplies, ubiquitous in our homes, schools and offices, have very high EMF readings and are associated with the obesity epidemic.
- Wi-Fi exposure leads to hyperglycemia, increased oxidative stress, and impaired insulin secretion.
- As early as 1965, the German Ford Motor Company found that microwaves had “diffuse effects on the autonomic nervous system affecting circulation, fluid balance, EEG, sleep, and glucose.”
- EMFs cause cognitive impairment, difficulties with concentration, poor sleep quality, headaches, dizziness, tinnitus, and behavioral changes, especially in children.
- A 1971 U.S. Navy report associated microwaves with insomnia, restlessness, fatigue, seizures, memory loss, depression, impotence, anxiety, irritability, anorexia, dizziness, and other disorders.
There are currently more than 10,000 valid studies that reveal the negative effects of EMFs on the human organism. Dr. Goldberg’s presentation cited just a few, but speaker after speaker at the conference described other studies that revealed the extent of the challenge we are facing.
So what are we to do?
EMFs are not going to disappear anytime soon. Society is not going to regress into the pre-electric 1890s. With 5G communication networks on the horizon, human exposure to EMFs will only increase. The only thing we can do is learn how to protect ourselves as best we can, and hope that it’s enough.
In subsequent articles we’ll reveal some of the ways we can protect ourselves against the explosion in EMF exposure.
For information about the services we offer at Pacific Naturopathic, please give us a call at 650-961-1660, or use the convenient Contact Form to get in touch. Thank you!