by Dr. Marcel Hernandez, ND
The benefits of an adequate supply of the antioxidant glutathione cannot be overstated. They include: better quality of life, improved sports performance, slower aging, and increased energy.
Not too shabby!
Glutathione (abbreviated GSH) is made naturally by our bodies. It is our body’s master antioxidant and detoxifier.
The highest concentration of GSH is found in the liver. It is essential for liver health – which means that it is invaluable for removing waste products and toxins from the body.
In fact, GSH deficiency is linked to more than 70 diseases including cancer, heart disease, stroke, and many others.
Here are some of the benefits of keeping the body well-supplied with glutathione:
- GSH has been called “the body’s master antioxidant and detoxifier.” While vitamin C, vitamin E, and alpha lipoic acid become unstable after performing their work of neutralizing free radicals, GSH re-stabilizes those vitamins, allowing them to continue performing their antioxidant function, again and again. Thus, a GSH deficiency makes these antioxidants much less effective in fighting free radicals.
- GSH is anti-inflammatory. Because GSH rids the body of free radicals, it helps prevent cellular inflammation, which is involved in many diseases. GSH, we might say, is the body’s fire extinguisher.
- GSH is abundant in the liver.The liver is the body’s main organ of detoxification – it rids the body of waste materials and harmful substances such as drug residues, environmental toxins, and heavy metals. A GSH deficiency interferes with these important functions.
- GSH carries proteins and nutrients to the cells. Even with the world’s best diet, a lack of GSH can lead to malnutrition.
- GSH protects the immune cells from oxidative stress. This is a very important function of GSH, since it enables the immune cells to better neutralize viruses and bacteria.
- GSH is needed for energy production. GSH protects the body’s energy-producing cells from oxidative damage.
- GSH never becomes a free radical. GSH constantly recycles itself so that it can continue to neutralize free radicals and help recycle the body’s other antioxidants.
- GSH slows aging. Studies suggest that higher GSH levels help protect the body against age-related diseases.
- GSH protects the eyes from the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) rays.GSH can help prevent macular degeneration, glaucoma, and diabetic eye disease.
- GSH improves the condition of skin, hair, and nails. GSH improves skin health by helping keep the skin moist, supple, and free of inflammation. It also stabilizes collagen, which helps prevent premature aging.
- GSH induces delta wave sleep. When GSH is oxidized by the body, two oxidized GSH molecules join to form GSSG (glutathione disulfide). GSSG promotes deep, restful sleep, allowing the body to more fully repair and rejuvenate itself.
- GSH supports peak athletic performance and accelerates muscle recovery. Athletes may experience better endurance and faster recovery.
Intravenous glutathione therapy is available in our office. A simple GSH push takes about 10 minutes. Combined with a Myers Cocktail, glutathione is restorative and functions as a powerful anti-aging agent.
Interested in exploring the world of IV nutrient therapy? Dr. Marcel always is happy to discuss your questions. Phone 650-917-1121 for information.