The symptoms were mystifying – a vague, fuzzy constellation that defied easy diagnosis:
All-day, mild to moderate headaches, occasional memory lapses, sneezing, skin rashes, chronic coughing, dry, itchy eyes, unrelenting fatigue, sleep disturbances, mucus membrane irritation, physical aches and pains.
The blood test results provided no clues for solving the mystery.
“Oh, my God,” we thought. “Is this what it’s like to get old?”
We thought the cause might be traceable to a dietary intolerance, so we simplified our food.
We tried herbal tonics, natural (and unnatural) antihistamines, herbal cough syrups, adrenal support aids, natural anti-inflammatories, and more.
We considered environmental pollutants and dust, and acquired an upscale air purifier.
We tried exercising more and hydrating more conscientiously.
We consulted conventional physicians and steeled ourselves to try conventional pharmaceuticals. Yet nothing helped.
Then, on a Saturday morning there was an insistent knocking at the door. Descending the stairs, we saw a workman standing in our courtyard in a white jumpsuit and wearing a respirator.
Marcel: “Hi, how may I help you?”
Workman: “I’m fixing a leak in the apartment next door, and I think I just poked a hole in your kitchen wall.”
We led him to the kitchen, where the “hole” turned out to be several gaping gouges. Sheetrock and debris were strewn everywhere, covered with thick black mold.
I stared in slack-jawed amazement. Then I called Connie to come downstairs.
Taking as many kitchen items as we could, we hastily packed a few personal items and checked into a hotel.
Since then, several walls have been taken down, all thick with mold, and our kitchen has been deconstructed. There’s no fixed timetable for our return.
Once the walls were opened, mold spores spread everywhere – into the furniture, carpets, and dusty corners. The decontamination may not be entirely successful.
At a seminar on environmental toxicity some years ago, we were told that when a house has been invaded by mold to the extent ours has, the best thing is to move out and trash the house.
We probably won’t do anything so drastic, but we’ll make sure the apartment is certified mold-free before we return.
Meanwhile, we’ll need to treat ourselves, because lingering mold in the body can wreak long-term health havoc.
Here’s our initial treatment program. It’s in no way a comprehensive treatment for mold exposure – just a beginning.
Activated charcoal capsules. Two capsules twice a day. Charcoal binds toxins and helps carry them to excretion. Make sure to choose activated charcoal made from coconut shells or other natural materials.
Raw garlic. Garlic has strong antifungal properties that can kill black mold. The recommended dose is 2-4 grams fresh garlic per day, or 600-900 milligrams of garlic tablets a day.
Cut out sugar. Fungi require sugar to survive. Reducing the sugar in our diet will help our bodies rid themselves of the black mold contagion.
Chlorophyll. Chlorophyll can be consumed in green veggies or taken as a supplement. Chlorophyll has powerful anti-fungal and antibacterial properties.
Natural antihistamines. Vitamin C (liposomal), quercetin, stinging nettle, and bromelain can help stabilize mast cells and bring symptomatic relief.
We’ll report on the next chapter in our black-mold saga before long. Meanwhile – stay well!
For more on Dr. Marcel’s work click HERE.